If you are a website owner who finds it challenging to drive traffic to your site, it is time you consider checking the quality of your backlinks. As the name suggests, Backlink refers to material on other websites that link to yours. The more backlinks your website has to other sites, the better your website will be indexed and ranked by search engine bots. However, if you have bad or low-quality backlinks that fail to meet Google’s webmaster guidelines, your website’s ranking will tank and might even get penalized. We at Faith SEO, a Massachusetts SEO Company, have been serving local clients in Massachusetts SEO-wise. We make sure our clients, get good traction among all search engines by providing good backlinks, among other work we do for them. Here below are the clues on what bad backlinks are and how to avoid them.
- Linking to a website that is not relevant to your industry: The first rule of thumb is that you should not throw backlinks all over the place. This happens when you send backlinks to a site totally unrelated to what your website is about through your content marking strategy. If you wrote something unrelated to your business, you might receive backlinks related to THAT subject. What happens is that keywords irrelevant to your website are associated with your website. Things will get muddled. In the end, you can’t rank based on the keywords that matter.
- Links from Link-Mill Websites: Someone might have offered you tons of backlinks in exchange for money. A Link-mill website might work for some time as you improve your SEO ranking. However, search bots get smarter and will find this out eventually. Moreover, it will be tough to cover and audit these backlinks, and some will turn out to be of bad quality, and your website will get penalized for it.
- Providing Comments in Discussion Forum and Blog sites: Posting a comment containing a link to your website in a blog comment section, or a discussion forum, used to be a good strategy in driving traffic to your site. However, these moves are classified as spam. Google’s AI and language processing function will determine the spammy intent of your comment.
- PR Release Links: Releasing high-quality content to a news service to broadcast your product isn’t wrong. The problem is the strategy. It becomes a problem if you release keyword-heavy content to a site and spamming it across dozens of other newswires. Google will detect and ignore, or penalize your site.
- Links from Spam Sites: Spam can be defined as content that is not relevant to your industry and contains products you don’t want to associate your product with. Clues to spammy sites are industries that either sell pornography, pharmaceuticals, or poker. You may want to look at the comments found in your discussion forums, and you should clear these out immediately. However, there are bad-quality backlinks built up over time. There are tools available, such as backlink checkers available online. However, it is best to contact professional SEO experts to help you clear these malicious links out before your site gets penalized.
How to Remove Bad Backlinks:
Building up your SEO takes a long process, and it takes time. Taking shortcuts such as resorting to link-building sites or posting comments linking your site in a discussion forum will hurt the reputation of your site and will get your site penalized. Being negligent about this and not paying attention to your site’s backlinks may lead to your website being replete with malicious links even if you did not deliberately make moves to resort to a low-quality link-building strategy. Link-building is a crucial part of your marketing strategy. The key to building your SEO is not much about the number of backlinks you produce. The more important consideration in your link-building process is creating high-quality backlinks. You can start this by making high-quality content. Link building should be natural across the internet to tell search engines that your website is relevant to your target market. Professional SEO experts such as Faith SEO want only the best for our client’s site reputation. They will work with them to clear low-quality and spammy backlinks and help build high-quality backlinks to help with their search rankings.